Samsonite Lite Shock Suitcase UK Review
This is my review of the Samsonite Lite-Shock suitcase, a popular choice for many UK buyers. This is a good high quality case from one of the world's leading luggage brands.
Read on to find out if this hard shell case is really value for money?
Generally speaking, the Lite-Shock range of cases is made in Europe and it is made from what the brand calls their Curv material, which makes it extremely strong, and yet incredibly light.
The corners have been strengthened to give this case great durability and should last for years, which is why they offer a 10 year Global warranty.
A Little About the Samsonite Brand
Jesse Shwayder founded Samsonite® in 1910 in Denver. They have clearly been around for some time, over 100 years, and are known for making high quality luggage.
In their early days they were more famous for the robust wooden trunks, that watchers of the "Antique Roadshow," may be more familiar with. However it wasn't until 1974 that they produced their first suitcase on wheels.
- In 1986 they then produced their first case with a three point locking system.
- Five years later they made their first suitcase with a wide pull handle, and a year later they made a rigid, lightweight shell structure.
- In 2003 they developed the first Samsonite softside spinner with 4 wheels which offered more stability and mobility, allowing travellers to either tow or roll their suitcase.
- In 2008 they introduced the Cosmolite range. This was made of the innovative Curv® material. That resulted in the strongest and lightest Samsonite suitcase ever.
- In 2012 Samsonite succeeded in creating an extremely lightweight three-point lock polypropylene collection, due to the new revolutionary polypropylene material called Flowlite.
- In 2014 along came the Lite-Locked collection. This is their lightweight collection which merges a three-point locking system with the revolutionary Curv® material. Lightness has never been so Secure; Security has never been so Light.
From this summary timeline is is clear to see that Samsonite are a leading and innovative high quality brand for luggage.
Now that we understand a little more about the brand, let's have a closer look at this specific Lite-Shock suitcase.
Samsonite Lite-Shock Specification
Below we have shown the details of this case in a lot more detail so as you can see exactly what you are getting for your money, should you decide to buy.
What Colours Are Available?
This case is available in 3 different sizes and I have included the details just below. All sizes are available in the following choice of colours:
- Off White
- Petrol Blue
The black colour I have shown in the main image above, and just below I have shown the petrol blue colour and the white colours. You can click on either of the images to see a larger image.
What Lite-Shock Case Sizes Are Available?
You can buy this in three different sizes depending on your precise needs. Please note that the price varies depending on which size of case you decide to buy.
The larger the case the more you will pay, unless of course you can find a special offer on a defined size. The sizes available are shown in the table below.
Case Size (cm)
Actual Size (cm)
Please note that the small case is suitable for most airlines in the UK as a carry on or cabin piece of luggage. The only airline this is not suitable for is FlyBe due to their smaller size restriction.
Lite-Shock Key Features & Benefits
- The case is made of the very lightweight Curv material which makes this case very light and yet remains really tough and durable
- The case has reinforced protective corners designed to absorb shocks
- The case has an integrated 3 digit TSA combination lock - required for flights to the USA - see explanation below
- Four wheels which are very quiet and make the case easy to wheel around
- Lockable zippers. Zipper pullers can be layered on top of each other to close the suitcase by using the TSA lock.
- Top carry handle and side carry handle for easy grip and easy lifting
- Bottom compartment with ribbons and one zipped side pocket
- Top compartment with zipped divider pad
- Zipped, mesh divider pad in the top compartment
- Lowered cross-ribbons in the bottom compartment
- Stylish and lightweight - lightest weight in the "Curv" range
- Comes with a 10 year Global warranty
The TSA is the Transport Security Administration and is an agency of the United States Security. They require access to luggage without you being present. That means they accept certain locks which they can open and then close using a master key. If you have locks that are not TSA approved, they will likely be opened by force in order to be inspected.
Video Review of the Lite-Shock Case
We found this short video online that gives a very good overview of this particular case.
What Buyers Say About the Samsonite Lite-Shock Suitcase
Overall buyers have rated this case with an 86% buyer satisfaction rate. Please note that this is a summary of all the various online buyer reviews that we found online, and have then summarised to get an average rating.
Just over 78% of all buyers online gave this case a full 5 star review. Around 7% of all buyers gave this case a low or bad review.
We have summarised those below in the form of a Pros & Cons table, as that makes it easier to compare both the good and the bad about this Samsonite case.
PROS & CONS TABLE
- Buyers stated that it is worth paying a little more for such high quality
- Very light in weight, looks smart and easy to wheel
- Most buyers said that this case has a very nice appearance and looks very smart
- Easy to lift up, carry or wheel
- Robust and looks like it will last
- Does get scuffed in airports courtesy of the baggage handlers
- A couple complained about the lining coming away
Our Verdict on the Samsonite Lite-Shock Case
This is a good brand of course though generally speaking their cases are an expensive purchase. Some buyers do not mind paying extra to own a branded case of this quality.
There are a very high percentage of 5 star reviews for this case which is the lightest in the Samsonite Curv range.
They really are very light and yet have been made in such a way that they stand up to the rigours of airport travel.
Some buyers of the larger cases (check-in luggage) do complain about the condition of the case, in terms of scratches and wear and tear, after a few trips. In my opinion this will happen to any case and that is down to the way they are treated by many baggage handlers at the various airports.
With this particular Lite-Shock, there is a decent selection of colours in three typical sizes. They do have all the important features that any good case should have.
If this is not the hard shell suitcase for you, then please check out our top 10 list of hard shell cases by clicking here.
Overall though this case gets very good reviews. The bad reviews are minor and mainly down to scratches, though we would suggest that is down to what happens at the airports, rather then the quality of the case. The 10-year global warranty should offer potential buyers some peace of mind.