Here we review the best backpack choice for university. For this type of application you will need a capacity size of 45 litres and above. Now of course the exact size will depend on the amount you can carry and how strong you are, but even in this digital age people are still having to carry a lot of books.
As you may already know, backpacks come in all shapes and sizes, from small to large. We have explained those sizes just below so as you have all the information. You will be looking for something thats pretty strong and is still comfortable to carry for long periods.
Backpack Capacity Comparison Guide
Our Top 5 List of Backpacks for University
Della Gao Large Laptop Backpack
- Heavy duty backpack
- Available in 5 colours, black, blue, grey, purple and red
- This is a 45 litre backpack and big enough to hold a laptop and/or heavier books
- It is very light at only 0.76 KG and has 20 different pouches
- It has an anti-theft combination lock, built-in USB charger, headphone hole and night reflective designs on the pack
- It is well made, durable, with a padded back, shoulder straps and scratch resistant
- This model is very good value and definitely a great choice for heavy use
This backpack is ideal for school and university. Although it is very well priced the backpack is very well made and will last at least two years with everyday use. This is one of the best sellers and you can see from the ratings that buyers found it to be excellent value. Easily our number one choice and for good reason.
Check Amazon UK - Average UK Price £37 - 92% buyer satisfaction based on 29,000+ online buyer reviews
G4Free 50L Rucksack
- Available in grey, black, pink or red and measures 19.5x12.5x5.3 inches
- This is designed as a computer and books bag which has 2 main pockets, 9 inner pockets, 2 side pockets.
- It also has a built in USB charger outside and built in charging cable inside, which allows you to have a more convenient way to charge your phone while walking.
- It also has a headphone jack which allows you to listen to your favorite music on the go hands-free
- The backpack is made of durable and eco-friendly oxford fabric, with a soft internal lining
- It has a shoulder belt and can hold laptops up to 17.3 inches
This is a business style laptop rucksack that's ideal for university with a password lock and double metal zippers, that will help protect a wallet and other items inside from thieves. It also has a luggage strap and a hidden pocket on the back. It's safe for travel, work or school.
Check Amazon UK - Average UK Price £48 - 90% buyer satisfaction based on 1,500+ online buyer reviews
Sosoon Laptop Backpack
- This is a 30 litre backpack that measures 12.4 x 7.5 x 18.9 inch (L*W*H)
- It has a padded laptop compartment that can hold up to a 15.6-inch Laptop and iPad.
- It has a large main compartment, and a multi-functional compartment with several pockets
- You can connect your own power bank to the internal cable inside the backpack, then plug your phone's own charging cable into the outside USB port to charge your phone.
- This backpack has a foam pad back design with thick mesh padding and it has adjustable shoulder and a foam-padded top handle
- The pack is made from a black knitted fabric composite material with smooth, high-quality zippers and reinforced stitching for lasting durability
There's a lock shackle hidden inside the side pocket, connect the upper pull head of the main pocket with the lock shackle, and thieves will be unable to easily open your backpack without you noticing. A small anti-theft pocket located on the lower back keeps your passport, wallet, phone, and other valuable items safe and handy. A luggage strap can be inserted and fixed to the handle of a trolley or suitcase, making it convenient to carry.
Check Amazon UK - Average UK Price £25 - 92% buyer satisfaction based on 9,000+ online buyer reviews
YUHAN 60L Backpack
- Ideal for books
- Available in 2 colours
- Large capacity: 60L
- Lightweight: only 2.25 KG
- Made from High Qualtiy Oxford cloth
- Durable, water and scratch resistant
- Multi-purpose but built for heavy loads
- This model is very good value and definitely another great choice for heavy use
Check Amazon UK - Average UK Price £55 - 94% buyer satisfaction based on 500+ online buyer reviews
HOMIEE Hiking Backpack 45L
- Available in 4 colours
- 45L large capacity, with 1 laptop bag for 17'' computer along with plenty of individual poacket
- Excellent chest and shoulder straps that can adjust up or down and prevent the shoulder strap moving from left and right,
- Breathable mesh shoulder straps and back panel help relieve the stress from your shoulders and keep you cool
- Comes with a 1 Year Warranty
- Size: 23.6'' x 14.2'' x 8.7'' and weight is 0.7KG.
Check Amazon UK - Average UK Price £50 - 88% buyer satisfaction based on 5,000+ online buyer reviews
Backpack Buying Guide
There are many of these type of heavy duty backpacks available on the UK market. Above we have listed the top 5 of the better ones. There are of course many important features that a backpack should have. These include padding, the amount of room, the comfort of the straps etc.
Generally speaking, backpacks are used mainly for backpacking, hiking or when camping. However that is simply no longer the case. These days they are used for a whole variety of purposes. These include:
- Hiking & Camping
- Traveling - day trips, weekend trips, longer trips
- Hand luggage - this includes at airports and also as carry on luggage, TSA friendly, and anti-theft backpacks
- For business and especially for carrying laptops of different sizes (14-14.9", 15-15.9", 16-16.9" and 17"+) and daily commuting
- For college and school
- For sports of all types including going to the gym
- For cyclists
- For fishing
- As a fashion accessory including designer backpacks
As you can see from the list above, backpacks are so much more than just for the traditional uses of hiking and camping.
Important Backpack Buying Questions?
- Which type of backpack do you need?
- How will the backpack fit?
- What size or capacity is the backpack?
- What features do you want in your backpack?
- What fabric the backpack is made from?
- Do you have a preferred look or appearance for your backpack?
- Do you have a preferred brand?
Backpack Capacity Comparison Guide
- 18 litre backpacks measure 18 x 9 x 7" and are ideal for cycling, running or light hiking
- 20 litres is a very small backpack
- 23 litre capacity measure about 19 x 13 x 5" and will hold books, notebooks, writing instruments and a laptop
- 33 litre capacity measure about 19 x 14 x 8.5" are good for daily business use and will have various compartments, padded straps and a laptop
- 33-35 litres measure about 19 x 11 x 6" and they are good for carry on luggage (On average about 10 Kg when packed) or a hiking daypack
- 39 litres measure about 21 x 13 x 9" and is good for a universal backpack and most of these are expandable
- 50 litres measure about 23 x 15 x 8.5 and are ideal for hiking and camping
It is never simple to be 100% accurate about the size or capacity of a backpack. That is because the many makers of these use different rules to measure the actual capacity.
The best definition, and the one that most manufacturers use, is to measure the volume of their backpacks by adding up the total volume of the closed storage on their packs. That includes the main compartment, and the various pockets on the pack.
Some smaller manufacturers will include open pockets like side water bottle pockets or rear mesh pockets in addition to the closed storage. It isn't always easy to directly compare like for like.
Backpack capacity is measured in liters, and in all honesty, that type of measurement doesn't really help most people. which is why we have helped explain what it really means in the above table.
Safety is of course one of the important ones. Any bag can be broken into is the thief has enough time. However what these types of bag do is make it very difficult to break into.
The types of pickpocket you see in airports, ports, train and bus stations take advantage of travellers being distracted.
That allows them to get easy access to pockets and bags. If you make these tough for them to get into, then they will more than likely leave you alone.
Typically these bags have seams covering the main zipper area. Most of them use the material on the straps to do that. In addition to that, they will also be rip resistant, and some of them will be anti-slash.
A favourite trick of thieves is to use a sharp knife to slash the bottom of the bag, and then quickly remove items inside. An anti-slash bag will stop that.
Locks and Zippers
A big weakness in most luggage is the quality of the zippers. Not only do these come off, but they can often stick and jam. Always look for good quality metal zippers, ideally dual zippers, that can be pulled together, and then a lock attached to the ends of the zippers.
Many of these, but not all, will have hidden compartments. These can be useful especially for important documentation.
This does need quite a lot of thought. Over the years backpacks have become much better designed and manufacturers have added many features. We have listed the main ones below:
- Size of the main compartment - this is one of the most important features and is often overlooked.
- Padded straps - these provide comfort when carrying the backpack. They should be wide and comfortable to stop them digging into your shoulders.
- Water bottle pocket - some people prefer to have a water bottle or drink's holder. This is available on some backpacks, and on some models there are a couple of these, usually on the side of the pack
- USB charging - today a lot of backpacks come with a charging point using a USB to charge up phones etc.